Friday, October 21, 2005

still i see, nothing but the good things

I was shocked to discover today that I have only one version of a favorite Sisters of Mercy song - Good Things. I don't think there is any other Sister's song (save Wide Receiver) that I only have 1 version. More than one version of a song? What is this nonsense? (you're asking this of yourself, I'm not asking you.) Current tally: I have three to ten versions of most every Sisters of Mercy song.

Ten.

I guess you could say I'm obsessed with the band. A band that, for all intents and purposes does not exist. That is what makes the whole thing bizarre. It’s not that I haven’t figured it out. I figured things out a long time ago. As I see it, there are two types of Sisters of Mercy Fans.

The casual listener: The casual listener might own an album, and is probably most familiar with Floodland. The casual listener might have three to five songs (different songs) on their iPod. At the very least, the casual listener has heard the Sisters and does not refer to them as "the who?".

The fan: The fan is eenly aware of the band’s entire history. From living above the Chemist with spiggy the cat, to this past years (August 05) M’Era Luna Festival in Germany. The fan knows the finer details of the roster changes (ad nausea), and is a little concerned that Adam Pearson is now playing in MC5 (but will continue to due Sisters date anyway?). The fan believes that the band (which is really one guy, at the end of the day) will release a new album. The fan scavenges the internet for as many different versions of songs and as many live shows as they can find. The fan has at least, but not limited to two tee-shirts. Oh, and the fan thinks that Andrew Eldritch can sing.

Obviously, I fall into the latter category. I can't explain it. Perhaps there is an addictive chemical in their chicken...er music...that makes you crave it fortnightly. I'm not sure. I do know that it is some of the most lyrically compelling music I’ve heard to date. The cover art has always been extremely cool, as well. Enough about that…


The big Pharmacy Prophets CD release is at Iota tomorrow night. We finished mixing the CD last night, amidst laughing our asses of at nothing and everything. The process has been grueling. And good lord, I can’t wait to kick back, punch Steve, Trey, and Ben in the mommy-daddy box and then have a frosty beverage.

In other news, I have set up a running journal to follow my adventures in the writing of my second novel. I’ve gotten off to a strong start with it (the novel,foo'). It's pretty exciting to know that I have enough ideas for at least two books. Gives me confidence that I’ll be able to continue to write these silly things down the road.

Yet, I have only one version of Good Things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home